Our History

On October 7, 1945 McConnell Road Baptist Church was organized with seven members and Rev. J. T. Ellis, Jr. as its first founding pastor. From a very humble beginning with much sacrifice, struggle and prayer by Pastor Ellis and the church’s early members, the little church began to grow. The church met in the open air with 14 crude benches acting as pews. At this stage, the church was affectionately called by some “Moses in the bulrushes.”

After a while, the church began to meet in the brush harbor, lit by four gasoline lanterns. Later in a shed called the “Gospel Shed,” until the first sanctuary was completed in April of 1946.

In 1977, with Rev. Richard Everhart as Pastor, a two-story educational building was built, complete with classrooms, a nursery, a fellowship hall, a kitchen, and a Pastor’s study.

In December 22, 2002, under the leadership of Pastor J. Wayne Wright, the church dedicated the current three hundred seat sanctuary.

By the grace of God, the church continues to be healthy and growing Church with a vision of getting the good news of salvation to a world in need. The Church remains committed to proclaiming the Gospel, teaching the fundamental doctrines of the faith, and looking forward to the soon coming of Jesus Christ.

As the Lord tarries in His coming then truly “THE BEST IS YET TO COME!”