On October 7, 1945 McConnell Road Baptist Church was organized with seven members and Rev J. T. Ellis, Jr. as its first founding pastor. From a very humble beginning with much sacrifice, struggle and prayer by Rev. Ellis and the Churches first members the little Church began to grow, meeting in the open air with 14 crude benches acting as pews, the Church was affectionately called by some “Moses in the bulrushes.”
Later the church began to meet in the brush harbor, lighted by four gasoline lanterns, and later in a shed called the “Gospel Shed,” until the first sanctuary was completed in April of 1946. In 1977 when Rev. Richard Everhart was Pastor, a two story educational building was built complete with eight classrooms, nursery, fellowship hall, kitchen and Pastor’s study.
On December 22, 2002 the church dedicated its new three hundred seat sanctuary under Rev. J. Wayne Wright. The church has beautiful nursery facilities, a Sunday School Program for all ages from nursery to Senior Saints, an active Children’s Church ministry, an Awana Program, Teen Bible Study on Wednesday night as well as other ministries for youth, and a Faith Promise Missions Program to help spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ around the world.
By the help and grace of God, McConnell Road Baptist Church is presently a healthy and growing Church with a vision into the next century of getting the Gospel, the good news of salvation, to the lost and dying world, and if the Church will remain committed to the proclamation of the Gospel, committed to the fundamental doctrines of the faith as recorded in the Bible, God’s holy and inspired Word, committed to the soon coming again of Jesus Christ then as we approach a new century, and if the Lord tarries in His coming then truly “THE BEST IS YET TO COME!”